Little Nightmares is a puzzle/platformer game from developer Tarsier Studios, released in 2017, and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment.
Summary[edit | edit source]
Little Nightmares is a short, single-player, atmospheric horror, puzzle/platformer game from Swedish independent development company Tarsier Studios. This game tells the story of a little girl attempting to escape a terrible prison where her fate is to be eaten... or worse.
Published April 28, 2017, the game was originally released for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Microsoft Windows, via the Steam content delivery service. On May 18, 2018, it was also released on the Nintendo Switch. The game was built in the Unreal 4 game engine and has an average play time of around 3 hours.
Three DLC levels, collectively known as the Secrets of the Maw were released between July 2017 and February 2018, and they cover mostly new territory, with a new character and a different story line.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Little Nightmares tells the story of a young girl, Six, trapped in the depths of a strange vessel, as she escapes captivity. Surrounded by grotesque creatures and perilous traps, Six must use her wits, small stature and more than a little luck to escape.
Location[edit | edit source]
The entire game takes place in The Maw, a large, mostly submerged, island vessel, floating in an undisclosed location. Six must make her way through various parts of The Maw, crawling through drains, wading through piles of detritus and climbing, always climbing ever higher until she finally makes her way out.
Characters[edit | edit source]
Six runs into a number of strange beings, some friendly, most are not.
- Six - The protagonist of Little Nightmares.
- Nomes - Skittish and harmless creatures with conical hats, found everywhere.
- The Mysterious Boy - A shadowy figure who tosses Six a bit of food - the last nice thing anyone does for her.
- Leeches - Small, slimy, black creatures that will kill a child by draining their blood.
- The Janitor - Long armed, blind fellow, but with very sensitive hearing.
- The Twin Chefs - Two non-identical bloated chefs that want to make a meal of Six.
- The Guests - Sagging, gluttonous creatures whose sole purpose seems to be eating.
- The Lady - Tall slender woman with the appearance of a geisha.